CAS Homepage

Q & A

When parents or teachers suspect that the children are having some developmental problems, the parents can bring them to the Maternal and Child Health Centre or family doctor for initial assessment so as to see if further referral and assessment by the Child Assessment Centre (CAC) is needed.
We provide assessment and referral services for children under 12 years of age with special needs.
We only accept referral letters from registered medical practitioners and educational /clinical psychologists.
Parents should register and book appointment at the child assessment centre according to residential district and respective catchment area. Please refer to the table below:
Child Assessment Centre Region served
Central Kowloon Child Assessment Centre Kowloon City, Yau Tsim Mong and Sham Shui Po (Nam Cheong, Fortune Estate, Lai Kok, Lai On, Yee Kok, Fu Cheong, Hoi Lai, Lai Chi Kok, Cheung Sha Wan Estate, Wing Cheong, Mei Foo)
Ha Kwai Chung Child Assessment Centre Kwai Tsing, Tsuen Wan, Islands and Sham Shui Po (Shek Kip Mei, Un Chau, So Uk, Lei Cheng Uk, Pak Tin, Lung Ping, Nam Shan, Tai Hang Tung, Tai Hang Sai, Beacon Heights, Dynasty Heights, Chak On, Yau Yat Tsuen, Po Lai)
Pamela Youde Child Assessment Centre (Shatin) Shatin and Wong Tai Sin
Fanling Child Assessment Centre Tai Po, North District and Yuen Long
Tuen Mun Child Assessment Centre Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai
Pamela Youde Child Assessment Centre (Kwun Tong) Kwun Tong and Sai Kung
Ngau Tau Kok Child Assessment Centre Hong Kong Island and Ngau Tau Kok
Please bring along the documents mentioned in the registration checklist.
During the first appointment, our registered nurse will interview parents to understand their concerns and collect adequate information from parents. The information will be analysed by our professionals in the Team Intake Conference and comprehensive assessment by appropriate professional(s) will be arranged according to the child’s need.
Follow-up plans will be formulated according to the nature of the problems and the needs of the individual child, such as interim support for parents, referral to rehabilitation services and scheduling of review evaluations at CAS.
If the child is hyperactive both at home and in school, and has been assessed by a professional (e.g. clinical/ educational psychologist, paediatrician) , the child can be referred to a child psychiatric centre directly for early treatment. However, if the situation is in doubt, the child can be referred to a CAC for assessment. If we diagnose the child to have Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder, we will arrange appropriate follow up and supportive service for the child. We will also refer him/ her to the child psychiatric centre for treatment.
For pre-school children, parents can bring the child to the Maternal and Child Health Centre for initial screening. For school-age children, parents can discuss his / her learning problem with the school teacher. The teacher may refer the child to a school educational psychologist for further evaluation. However, if the child has other problems like attention deficit or physical coordination problems, parents may get referrals to a CAC for assessment.
A child is not fit for assessment when he/she is sick. He/ She will be very tired and this will affect his/her emotion and mental state. Besides, some medications may have side-effects causing drowsiness and irritability, leading to the child’s under performance. Parents can call the CAC to cancel the appointment beforehand and make a new appointment after the child has fully recovered.